The battle between the Operating Systems is very common these days. Why? because there are different operating systems that offer a different set of advantages and disadvantages. But the worst part is choosing between them is becoming harder now. macOS, Windows, or Linux? So to make it easy for you, in this article, we are providing you with everything you need to know which one is better for you. So stay tuned for that.
But before moving further we must be familiar with the very basic question and that is,
What is an Operating System?
The operating system acts as an interface between the user and the computer hardware. In simple words, a user with the help of an operating system manipulates the C.P.U (Central Processing Unit) to get the desired task done.
For example – You want to browse the internet while listening to songs. How will you do it? and What you will need for that?
First of all, you need a Web browser and a media player installed on your computer and by this, we mean a platform where both of the software applications are installed, so to make them work simultaneously.
In this article, we will discuss the most popular operating systems which are used worldwide.
Though there are many operating systems. But here we will only be talking about the most popular ones.
- Mac Os
These are the top 3 most popular Operating Systems in the world.
- Mac Os – Mac Os is the operating system by Apple for their exclusive iMac and MacBook lineup. It’s a very sophisticated operating system with superior performance and stability.
- Windows – Windows is the most popular and widely used operating system on the planet. It was introduced by Microsoft with the purpose of dominating personal computing at that time.
- Linux – Linux is a free and open-source operating system built across the Linux kernel. It’s a very powerful OS that offers great control and command over the device (CPU).
Pros and Cons:
- Simple and Powerful user interface – Mac OS has the simplest and most powerful user interface of all. No, we are not being biased here, it’s true. If you compare both of them side by side you will notice that the icons on a mac are much more organized. In fact, installing and launching apps on Mac OS is as similar to iOS. So if you already own an iPhone then it will be easier for you to learn and operate Mac OS.
- Fewer Virus attacks – One of the biggest advantages of Mac OS over windows is that it suffers from very fewer virus attacks. Now, it doesn’t mean that Mac OS is more secure than windows. But the reality is due to the widely used banner of windows, hackers target it more frequently. This somehow benefits the Mac user as nobody is making virus prone software for Mac.
- World-class Integration between hardware and software – This might be the biggest reason why people prefer Macbook or iMac over any other computing device. Apple is known for its full control over the devices, as the design of the hardware is prepared by Apple itself. So, this allows them to create fully optimized apps as the developers have the access to the hardware of the device. Thus, as a result, the software performs smoother and Apple keeps it working smoothly for a long time.
- Integration of Apple Products – Have you ever heard about “Ecosystem”? Many people believe that Apple has one of the most beautiful ecosystems when it comes to the integration of devices. Yes, we are talking about the integration of the Apple Watch with the iPhone and MacBook. Apple really worked hard in making things work like new for quite a couple of years.
- Expensive – When it comes to breaking the bank then Apple has a very major role in it. It’s on record that Apple sells one of the most expensive gadgets in the world. This is more noticeable when comparing the price point of Mac computers with their Windows counterpart. So keep this in mind.
- Harder to upgrade – Macbooks and iMacs are very hard to upgrade. Now, some of you must be thinking about how. Well, most of its hardware components are integrated both at the design and engineering levels. So, this makes it even harder to upgrade.
- No Games – Yes, this might make you sad but it’s a reality. Macbooks and iMacs are not meant for gaming. So if you want to buy a laptop or pc just to play games then we recommend you to go for windows.
Pros and Cons:
- Cheap – Yes, the biggest advantage of Windows is that it’s pretty cheap. You need not break the bank for Windows PC or Laptop. This is because Microsoft sells the Windows copyright license to every PC or laptop manufacturer in the world. For example HP, Dell, Asus, etc.
- Variety Options – By the above-mentioned point, you can very much figure out now that the options for windows laptops and PC are very huge as compared with Mac OS. One more thing to keep in mind is that you have a variety of options depending on your budget also.
- Software availability – Since there are more windows users across the globe, there are more software programs, games, and utilities for the windows operating system.
- Customizable – You can customize your Windows operating system to another level. This is something that is missing in Mac OS.
- Games – Many people who can even afford to buy an iMac or MacBook refuse it because they prefer playing games on a PC and laptop. This is probably the biggest advantage of Windows OS and a disadvantage for Mac OS.
- Upgradable – Unlike Mac operating System windows allows you to upgrade the hardware with ease. For instance, if you want to upgrade your Processor, ram, or SSD then you can do it. This is because Windows is not limited to Microsoft’s Laptops or Pcs.
- Malware and Virus Attacks – In this case, the biggest strength of Windows becomes the biggest weakness also. The popularity of windows allows hackers to create viruses and malware-powered software which damages the operating system to great extent. Every year millions of Windows devices get affected.
- Less Reliable – Similar to the above-mentioned point this makes the windows operating system less reliable.
Pros and Cons:
- Becomes Laggy over time – Yes, it’s true. It has been observed that with every Microsoft update windows tends to become laggier. People on Social Media also make jokes about it. So this is something that Microsoft needs to work on soon.
- Low cost – You need not spend any money to obtain its license, because its software comes from GNU General Public License. You can also download the high-quality software for Linux and that too from wherever you want, free of cost and you need not worry that your program may stop due to the trial version. You can also install it on many computers without even paying.
- Stability: Linux is stable enough to get your daily tasks done. You don’t have to reboot it periodically. It can also handle a large number of users and does not hang up or slow down due to memory issues.
- Flexibility: It is used for high-performance applications, desktop applications, and also embedded applications. You can even save disk space by installing components required for a particular use.
- Performance: Linux provides high performance on workstations and on networks. It also helps in making old computers sufficient and usable again and also can handle many users at a time.
- Choice: Choice is one of the greatest advantages of Linux. It gives the power to control every aspect of the operating system. The main features are that you can control the look and feel of the desktop by Windows Manager and kernel.
- Understanding: To become familiar with Linux you need to have a lot of patience and a desire to read and explore it. So keep this in mind.
- Software: Linux has a limited selection of available software.
- Ease: Even though Linux has improved a lot in ease of use but windows are much easier.
- Hardware: Linux does not support many hardware devices.
So this was all regarding the comparison of Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. In our conclusion, we found that every operating system has its own advantages which in some cases might be a disadvantage for another one.